The Johnson City Street Division is dedicated to providing a safe, cost-effective roadway system, including all related structures and facilities, that improves the quality of life for residents and visitors. The Street Division provides the following services for the city:
1) Pavement Maintenance, which provides safe and smooth streets and alleys for those living in or traveling through Johnson City. The staff performs pavement inspections and is involved in the repair of pavement failures and potholes as well as grading and patching and constructing speed bumps.
2) Right-of-Way Maintenance seeks to ensure an attractive, clean, and safe public environment. The primary activities of this division include mowing, trimming, vegetation maintenance, street sweeping, and snow and/or ice removal.
3) Urban Forestry Program is responsible for removing and protecting public trees through a program of comprehensive management. Urban Forestry Program activities include tree pruning, hazardous tree removal, new tree planting, and the maintenance of landscaped areas at 72 sites across the city.
4) Yard Waste Diversion has the task of scheduling yard waste collection and disposal for residents of the City of Johnson City. Staff provides collection of residential brush, limbs, and logs placed at the roadside, as well as fallen leaves that have been raked to the curbside.
5) Construction and Maintenance is responsible for maintaining and improving roadway, walkway, and drainage systems in the city by constructing and maintaining storm drain pipes, catch basins, and ditches, as well as sidewalks and curbs.
The Street Division maintains 742.8 lane miles of city streets, 153 lane miles of state highway, and 176 miles of city sidewalks.