30th Anniversary Pepsi Independence Day Fireworks Celebration
Pepsi-Beverages Company of Johnson City and the City of Johnson City will sponsor the 30th Annual Independence Day Fireworks Celebration on the grounds of Freedom Hall Civic Center. This year's event will be held on Saturday, July 4th, and everyone is invited to join in the festivities. There will not be a rain date for this event. The fireworks time could be delayed if there is inclement weather that evening. Visitors will be moved inside the Freedom Hall arena in the event of severe weather. Since several thousand attend the event each year, an early arrival is strongly encouraged. Come early and browse through our craft vendors and enjoy great food from area restaurants and civic organizations. For your own safety, do not leave the premises until the lights come on in the baseball fields after the fireworks presentation.
Visit our website here
for a complete listing of activities and music entertainment along with a schedule to help you plan your evening with us. For more information, call 461-4855.
Free Golf and Cart for Veterans and Current Military
Saturday, July 4th
Pine Oaks and Buffalo Valley golf courses will offer veterans and current military a free round of golf plus cart on Saturday, July 4th, from noon until closing. Participants must provide their military ID. “This is the second year we’ve offered free golf as a thank you to our veterans, and it’s just a small token of our appreciation for their service to our country and the sacrifices they have made for our freedom,” said Golf Director Jim Hughes.
Veterans will be accommodated on a first-come, first-serve basis and may be placed in groups as is necessary for efficient play. For more information, please call 434-6250.
2015 Winged Deer Lakeside Concert Series
Winged Deer Park Lakefront Festival Plaza - Goulding Amphitheatre
Join us for a memorable musical experience this summer at the Lakeside Concert Series. This year's concerts will feature a dynamic mixture of the area's top talent, and admission is free! Bring your lawn chairs, picnic basket, and your dancing shoes. Winged Deer Park is located at 4137 Bristol Highway, and the lakefront amphitheater is off Carroll Creek Road.
This year’s concert schedule is as follows:
• Thursday, July 9, 7-9 p.m. – My New Favorites
• Thursday, July 16, 7-9 p.m. – Wolf Creek Band
• Thursday, July 23, 7-9 p.m. – Daisi Rain
• Thursday, July 30, 7-9 p.m. – Whiskey Sticks
• Thursday, Aug. 6, 7-9 p.m. – Hollow Ground
• Thursday, Aug. 13, 7-9 p.m. – Model City Wrecking Crew
• Thursday, Aug. 20, 7-9 p.m. – Kids Our Age
• Sunday, Sept. 13, 6-8 p.m. – Johnson City Symphony
For more information, call (423) 283-5815, or email email@example.com
Summer at Memorial Park Community Center
Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., is the place to be this summer! Below is a list of upcoming programs and events that your community center has to offer.
• Future Buccaneer Basketball Camp
– Saturday, June 27: Boys and girls ages 7-13 are invited to participate in an exciting basketball camp at Memorial Park Community Center on Saturday, June 27 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Participants will meet current East Tennessee State University Basketball players and coaches, work on specific fundamentals, and learn to compete while in a safe environment. Early registration is $25 before June 22 and $30 after June 22. Pre-registration is required and can be done online here
or at Memorial Park Community Center.
• Chalk it Up!
– Tuesday, June 30: Registration is now under way for Memorial Park Community Center's first-ever chalk drawing contest. Children ages 5-12 are invited to Chalk It Up! from 5-6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30. Participants will be placed in age groups, with prizes to be awarded in each. Cost is $2 per child. Participants must pre-register in person at the center.
• Start Smart Football
– Mondays, July 27-Aug. 31: Registration is now open (children ages 5-7) online here
and at Memorial Park Community Center for Start Smart Football. This NAYS (National Alliance for Youth Sports) program is a great way to get your child involved at a young age. Parents and guardians are required to be involved one- on-one with their child during instruction. Start Smart Football focuses on teaching children and their parents' skills in passing, catching, and running. Held once a week for 6 weeks, the exercise will become increasingly more difficult as the class progresses and the children show improvement. Cost is $25/city resident, $30/non-city. Pre-registration is required.
• Dollie & Me Tea Party
– Saturday, Aug. 29: Children ages 2-12 are invited to a very special tea party from 10-11 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 29 at Memorial Park Community Center. Participants should plan to bring along their favorite toy friend for this Dollie and Me Tea Party. Light refreshments will be served, and children will make a pair of matching bracelets to take home. Cost is $5 per child. Participants must pre-register in person at the center.
Call (423)434-5749 for more information or to register.
JC Parks & Recreation 2015 Summer Camps
This summer you can discover a variety of 7-week camps, specialty camps, and 1/2 day camps to create your child’s best summer ever. If you’re looking for fitness, nutrition and fun, try our Jump Start JC Camp that is held at Freedom Hall Gymnasium. Teens will adventure this summer at Fairmont Adventure Camp located in the old Fairmont School gymnasium. Nature will take you on incredible journeys to learn about reptiles, geology, and take a closer look at the environment. Learn to dance, sing, and play an instrument as part of our Performing Arts Camps at Princeton Art Center this summer. Think creatively at our Art Camp, also held at Princeton Arts Center. Summer camps will be packed full of team building activities, group initiatives, physical fitness activities, and much more!
To register, please go online at www.myjcparks.org.
You may also register at the following locations: Carver Recreation Center, Memorial Park Community Center, Princeton Arts Center, and Winged Deer Park.
DIVE - RIDE - STRIDE
3rd Annual Kids Triathlon
It's that time of year again! Memorial Park Community Center is hosting the third annual kids triathlon on Saturday, August 15, 2015. The race is open to ages 6-12 yr old participants. Check in time is 8 am at Legion Street pool.
• Ages 6-8
- swim 50 meters, bike 1 mile, run .5 mile - Register Online
• Ages 9-10
- swim 100 meters, bike 1.5 mile, run 1 mile - Register Online
• Ages 11-12
- swim 150 meters, bike 2 miles, run 1.5 mile - Register Online
You may register online or you may register between normal business hours at Memorial Park Community Center (510 Bert Street) from 7 am-9 pm Monday-Friday and Saturday 9 am-5 pm. Check or cash is required for payment at the center. Credit cards may only be used during online transactions. Early registration is June 15- August 7 - $25.00. Late registration is August 8-14 - $40.00
For more information, please contact MPCC at (423) 434-5749
Back 2 School Block Party
Carver Recreation Center, 322 W. Watauga Ave., invites students in grades K-12 to a Back 2 School Block Party on Friday, August 7th from 5-7 p.m. Schools supplies will be distributed to youth who sign up for the following programs:
• Stay in School Program
• Strive for Grades Program
• Carver Homework Helpers Program
Admission to the event is free! Swim time at Legion Street Pool will be offered for $1 per person. For more information on this event, please call (423) 461-8830.
MORE GOING ON
- For more City events, please follow us here.
- For more Freedom Hall Civic Center events, please follow us here.